An exciting new film project is coming for your viewing pleasure later in 2019: The Uncertain Kingdom with the aim of generating debate and reflection on how we live now. That may sound deep but if the list of the 20 directors is anything to go by it will be fascinating, interesting and anything but dull!
It really is an amazing array: Academy Award winner Orlando Von Einsiedel (The White Helmets, Evelyn), BIFA winner Carol Salter (Almost Heaven), BAFTA and International Emmy winner Guy Jenkin (Outnumbered), Dazed 100 listed Iggy LDN (Black Boys Don’t Cry) and IWC Schaffhausen Award winner Hope Dickson Leach (The Levelling) are among the directors chosen for the ground-breaking project. Read on to see the full list of directors selected!
The Uncertain Kingdom brings together established and emerging filmmakers to create 20 short films, each offering a flash of insight into the state of the nation at this turbulent time.
“As technology advances and our future becomes increasingly more unstable and harder to predict, it’s important that filmmakers share thoughts on this crucial time in history. That’s why I think that the conversations that will be created from The Uncertain Kingdom project will strike a huge chord with many people.” Iggy LDN, director
The films will represent regions throughout the UK, encompass a range of themes including climate change, migration, homelessness, sexuality, cultural identity and interracial relationships. The shorts will include fiction, documentary, animation, dance and experimental films, and a variety of genres.
Films begin shooting this summer and will be delivered in October. The Uncertain Kingdom will be exhibited in a national tour through winter 2019-2020, handled by Verve Pictures. The tour aims to initiate conversations and debate by placing the films at the centre of community events throughout the U.K.
The Uncertain Kingdom was conceived by director and exec-producer John Jencks and will be produced by Isabel Freer and Georgia Goggin.
Asked about the selected filmmakers and their films John Jencks said “I’m thrilled with every single filmmaker who’s joined The Uncertain Kingdom and I can’t wait to share their films with audiences across the country.”
Full list of filmmaking teams
- Alison Hargreaves, writer/director/producer. Alice Whittemore, producer.
- Antonia Campbell-Hughes, writer/director. Marie-Thérèse Mackle, producer.
- Carol Salter, director/producer. Fleur Nieddu, co-producer.
- David Proud, director. Justin Edgar, writer/producer.
- Dominika Ożyńska,director. Imogen Kimber, producer.
- Ellen Evans, director. Alice Hughes, producer.
- Guy Jenkin, writer and director. Ryan Bennett, producer.
- Hope Dickson Leach, writer/director. Wendy Griffin, producer.
- Iggy LDN, director. Ibrahim Salawu, writer.
- Jason Bradbury, director. Yaw Basoah and Brett Webb, producers. Edward Cripps, writer.
- Jason Wingard, writer/director. Hannah Stevenson, producer.
- Lab Ky Mo, director. Chi Thai, producer. Ming Ho, writer.
- Lanre Malaolu, director, writer and choreographer. Alistair Payne-James, producer.
- Orlando von Einsiedel, director. Matthew Wenham, producer.
- Paul Frankl, writer/director. Amy Binns, producer.
- Ray Panthaki, writer/director. Ben Jacques, producer.
- Rebecca Lloyd-Evans, director. Kate Vogel and Kat Mansoor, producers.
- Rubika Shah, writer/director. Jessie Mangum, producer.
- Sophie King, director. Helen Simmons, producer. Sian Docksey, writer.
- Stroma Cairns, director. Imogen West and Sorcha Bacon, producers.
“In such unsettled and unclear times, it is vital to harness the power of storytelling – to cast its clarifying light. The Uncertain Kingdom understands this and has brought together a diverse group of storytellers to collectively illuminate our visions.” Rebecca Lloyd-Evans, director
Here at BRWC we can’t wait to see what this amazing and eclectic group of filmmakers bring to the screen!
For more details click on the link: //theuncertainkingdom.co.uk
We hope you're enjoying BRWC. You should check us out on our social channels, subscribe to our newsletter, and tell your friends. BRWC is short for battleroyalewithcheese.